AmeriCorps VISTA members bring their passion and perseverance where the need is greatest: to organizations that help eradicate poverty. The most pressing challenges we face as a nation require the most courageous and creative people to address them. An AmeriCorps VISTA member serves as a catalyst for change, living and working alongside community members to advance local solutions. The AmeriCorps VISTA mission is to strengthen organizations that alleviate poverty through volunteering and the mobilization of resources. A member’s commitment to serve includes:
- One year term of full-time (40 hours/week) volunteer service at a nonprofit agency in Texas
- A monthly living allowance of ~$1000 a month (depending on county)
- Eligibility for additional stipends and benefits to assist with relocation expenses and childcare
- Health and prescription drug benefits
- End-of-Service Benefits – members elect to receive either a cash stipend or the Segal Education Award (applicable to student loans or future tuition) upon fulfillment of their service commitment
Apply to Our VISTA Positions
- View the job description, responsibilities, and benefits for each position below. (You will be directed to the My AmeriCorps website to apply.)
- Create a profile and an application on the My AmeriCorps website (here are some tips for completing the application).
- Apply for one or more open positions with THN via the My AmeriCorps website.
- After applying on the AmeriCorps website, please complete this screening and send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org to be considered for an interview.
- Familiarize with current data collection, reporting, sharing, and databases used.
- Research current data and performance requirements for the TX BoS CoC (Balance of State Continuum of Care) in regards to PIT (Point In Time), HIC (Housing Inventory Count), System Performance Measures, CoC and ESG (Emergency Services Grant) project performance measures targeting implementation & evaluation.
- Work with initiative partners and community leaders to expand coordination efforts across CoC geography
- Produce and distribute templates for materials on the state of homelessness and CoC performance for the THN website, regional providers, grant administrators, and general audiences, which would be updated periodically.
This VISTA project will continue to raise awareness and help change conversations and perceptions around sexual assault/exploitation, child abuse and domestic/dating violence through community outreach and engagement, with a focus on Latinx communities.
- Research best practices around community engagement, housing and homelessness, and issues surrounding sexual assault, abuse, and domestic violence
- Coordinate community-focused meetings and forums to generate culturally-specific dialogue and community-based solutions
- Establish new community contacts, build new relationships/partnerships with local groups, and continue to develop existing partnerships
- Engage multiple community members, organizations, and stakeholders in the organization’s services and outreach efforts
This project works to build capacity at the Taylor Housing Authority by enhancing and developing new processes which expand the homeownership program and also by creating and implementing an outreach plan to people experiencing homelessness.
- Prepare for development and implementation of the Homeownership Program by researching best practices in community-wide strategies to preventing and ending homelessness and assessing the organization’s needs and opportunities in community outreach efforts.
- Explore community resources and identify potential partners for the homeownership program.
- Research funding and grant opportunities for additional programs.
- Apply for possible funding opportunities.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures for programs.
- Educate community members about issues surrounding homelessness and the organization’s services.
- Evaluate programs and resources developed through project, and implement strategies for sustainability including identifying needs for communications plan sustainability, assisting in strategy for continuing community engagement and outreach, and developing plan for speaker’s bureau sustainability.