THN's Monthly Live Webinar Series
A Look Ahead
Harm Reduction in Housing
Advocacy & Policy for Survivors of Domestic Violence
View Our Past Recorded Webinars
Homelessness During a Pandemic: Updates and a Look Forward for Service Providers
The COVID-19 outbreak has altered our society in many ways. For those experiencing homelessness and the agencies that work with them, these changes have been life-threatening, not to mention frustrating. The community has innovated quickly in many regards, but there are still many limitations on what can be done. This presentation will serve as both a premature retrospective on the course of the outbreak for the community experiencing homelessness, and a look forward to the winter and beyond.
Coordinated Entry Racial Equity Analysis: Findings from a Multi-Community Study
Although designed to prioritize those with the greatest need, Coordinated Entry Systems may be perpetuating systemic racial inequities through the use of untested tools like the VI-SPADT. During this webinar, Regina Cannon and Nastacia’ Moore will discuss their research on racial bias in relation to this formerly untested tool and where we should go with it.
Legislative Reforms to Protect Tenant Rights and Prevent Homelessness
With 1.7 million Texans facing eviction due to COVID-19, many are worried about the rights of tenants across our state. This panel with Texas Tenants’ Union, Texas Housers, and Inclusive Communities Project will review the current landscape of Texas laws for obtaining and maintaining housing. The webinar will review proposals to bring to the 2021 Texas Legislative Session, and discuss effective ways to engage policymakers.
Voting While Unhoused
Every eligible voter in Texas has the fundamental right to cast a ballot that is fairly and accurately counted. This includes Texans who are homeless or in a non-traditional living situation, or who have had interaction with the criminal (in)justice system. It is, unfortunately, a common misperception that such voters are not able to register to vote or cast a ballot. This panel will discuss things to know about the upcoming election, things to know about voting while unhoused, your voting rights while incarcerated, or after being incarcerated, and will end with a full briefing on current advocacy efforts to expand voting rights and actions you can take.
Homelessness in Texas: Our Struggles, Our Successes, Our Future
2020 presented our country and state with unprecedented challenges, resilient successes, and shifts toward a better future. In response, THN hosted “Homelessness in Texas: Our Struggles, Our Successes, Our Future” a livestream event on October 27th, 2020 featuring speakers from around the state and the country to examine the state of homelessness in Texas and the future ahead.
Interested in hearing from a specific speaker? Check out our YouTube playlist here.
Each month, THN will host a live webinar from partner agencies across the state. Don’t miss this free opportunity to learn about issues impacting people experiencing homelessness in Texas while networking with colleagues. Registration will be open each month for the next month’s webinar.
Thank you to all the amazing speakers who joined us
Rep. Beto O’Rourke
Rep. William Hurd
- Tegan DeBrock – Vice President, HOME Center
- Vineta Byrd – Housing Director, SAFE-T Crisis Center
- Rosten Callarman – WTHN Coalition Coordinator, United Way of Abilene
- Camille Castillo – Program Director, the El Paso Coalition for the Homeless
- Melissa Escamilla – Program Director, Endeavors
- Kathy Lacy – Prevention and Diversion Coordinator, South Alamo Regional Alliance for the Homeless
- Daisy Lopez – BIPP Program Coordinator, Friendship of Women Inc.
- Dr. Jocabed Marquez – Ph.D. Educator, Researcher, Data Analyst
- Kyle Moore – Homeless Outreach Team, Killeen Police Department
- Mayor Ginger Nelson – Mayor, City of Amarillo
- Emily Northup – Homeless Outreach Coordinator, City of Corpus Christi
- Andrea Omojola – Chief Operating Officer, Open Door of Lubbock
- Sister Norma Pimentel – Executive Director, Catholic Charities of the Rio Grande Valley
- Nan Roman – President & CEO, National Alliance to End Homelessness
- Robert Salas – Neighborhood & Family Services Department, City of San Angelo
- Eric Samuels – President & CEO, Texas Homeless Network
- Jo Schaffer – Board Member, Texas Homeless Network
- Erika Thomas – Executive Director, Odessa Links
- Mayor Anthony Williams – Mayor
- Dr. David Woody – President and CEO at The Bridge – Homeless Recovery Center
- Diane Yentel – President & CEO, National Low Income Housing Coalition
- Kristin Zakoor – Assistant Director of Data, Texas Homeless Network