AmeriCorps VISTA members bring their passion and perseverance where the need is greatest: to organizations that help eradicate poverty. The most pressing challenges we face as a nation require the most courageous and creative people to address them. An AmeriCorps VISTA member serves as a catalyst for change, living and working alongside community members to advance local solutions.
The AmeriCorps VISTA mission is to strengthen organizations that alleviate poverty through volunteering and the mobilization of resources. A member’s commitment to serve includes:
- 1-Year term of full-time (40 hours/week) volunteer service at nonprofit agency
- A monthly living allowance of ~$1000 a month (depending on county)
- Health and prescription drug benefits
- Eligibility for additional stipends and benefits to assist with relocation expenses and childcare
- End-of-Service Benefits – members elect to receive either a cash stipend or the Segal Education Award (applicable to student loans or future tuition) upon fulfillment of their service commitment
THN’s statewide VISTA project works on a variety of projects helping areas build capacity to end homelessness. If your organization is interested in learning more about hosting a VISTA member, please contact the VISTA Project Manager.
Apply to our VISTA Positions
- View the job description, responsibilities, and benefits for each position below. (You will be directed to the My AmeriCorps website to apply.)
- Create a profile and an application on the My AmeriCorps website.
- Apply for one or more open positions with THN via the My AmeriCorps website.
- After applying, please complete this screening and send your resume to email@example.com to be considered for an interview.
Home Ownership Specialist | Taylor, TX | Taylor Housing Authority
Communications and Development Associate | Austin, TX | Texas Homeless Network
SOAR and Housing Stability Coordinator | Lubbock, TX | Lubbock Open Door
Homeless Coalition and Coordinated Entry | Abilene,TX | United Way of Abilene
Homeless Coalition and Coordinated Entry | Longview,TX | City of Longview, TX
Sponsor a THN VISTA Member
What does sponsoring a VISTA Member look like? VISTA Members receive a monthly stipend (around $972 per month) for their hard work, but as you can imagine, it doesn’t go very far. They live on a diet of ramen noodles, potatoes, and cable-free TV. You can improve their diet by adding more greens and mainstream entertainment with things like gift cards to a movie theater, or dinner out, or by making a monetary donation. As a thank you, your VISTA Member will send you updates on their project. Contact us to donate gift cards. Sponsor a VISTA Member with a donation today!